Homemade Baked Eggplant Parmesan
Do you ever have a recipe that your husband loves so much he requests it almost every week?
Well then you must not have ever made eggplant parmesan, seriously it’s an addiction.
The nice meaty texture of this vegetable is great for any main course and to fill any man’s or woman’s belly. What I love about this recipe is that it is baked and not fried….actually small confession, I never knew that eggplant parmesan was suppose to be fried. I just always baked my eggplant and found out the hard way at a restaurant when the eggplant was so oily it gave me a super upset stomach.
Any who….Another trick I learned later on was to salt my eggplant slices to help suck out moisture and and bitterness that may lie beneath this purple plant. This really helped to improve my eggplant parmesan and is something I do with all my eggplant recipes.
HOW TO SALT EGGPLANT
Slice your eggplants, I like to cut mine so that the shape is circular instead of the long eggplant shape. Place each slice on a tea towel and pour quite a bit of salt on top. Let sit for 20 minutes and then flip and repeat. (Totaling 40 minutes). Once your timer goes off, rinse off the slices so that no salt is left over or sweat from the eggplants, pat dry with towel, and I typically leave the eggplant slices in between the layers of tea towels for an extra 10 minutes or so because they tent to leak a bit if you don’t….and voila your slices are free of access moisture and bitterness. Now I know that 40-50 minutes seems like forever but honestly it is so worth it! Plus if you have a prep day then you can salt them on this day and not really worry about them when its time to actually cook the meal. win-win.
Now lets get started on this delicious recipe….I am getting hungry just thinking about it’s ooey gooeyness!!
- 2 medium eggplants, sliced into 1/2 inch rounds (perviously salted)
- 3 eggs or 3 vegan egg substitutes (such as chia and water)
- 1/3 cup flour
- 2 cups of fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup of grated parmesan
- 1/3 cup of fresh basil (julienned)
- olive oil to layer baking sheet.
- Preheat oven to 425° and oil down 1-2 baking sheets and set aside.
- In a 3 shallow dishes add your flour, whisked eggs, and breadcrumbs.
- Coast each eggplant slice in each of the bowls starting with flour, then eggs and ending with the breadcrumbs. Be sure to allow an excess to drip or fall off before moving to the next bowl. Then set each slide on the baking sheet and repeat until all slices have been coated.
- Place baking sheets in oven and bake for 20-30 minutes, making sure to flip 3/4ths of the way through.
- Remove from oven and set aside. Reduce heat to 400°
- Spread 1/2 - 1 cup of your sauce in a large baking dish. Add your 1/2 of your eggplant on top, overlapping slightly is totally fine. Add another layer of sauce on top (about 1 cup should suffice) and about half of your sliced mozzarella and half of your fresh basil. Now add the rest of your eggplant, followed by another cup of sauce and cheese as well as sprinkling half of your parmesan on top.
- Place in oven and bake for 30 minutes or until cheese is golden.
- Remove and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle with remaining basil and serve with some noodles, or our favorite spaghetti squash!
Be sure to snap a photo & hashtag #omlivin during or after making this recipe! I would love to know how it turned out for you!
Question of the Day:
Do you typically bake or fry your eggplant when making eggplant parmesan? Let me know in the comments down below!
Be sure to check back on Tuesdays for more plant based recipes & culinary tips or you can always subscribe to my newsletter!! Also if you decide you’re up for the challenge by replicating this recipe, be sure to post a picture on | Instagram | Google+ | Twitter | for the Om Livin’ community to see (with the #omlivin). Lets spread the plant based love!! ❤ ॐ❤!
Written By: Ashleigh Nicole
Ashleigh is a mother & wife who enjoys blogging in hopes to change this world for the better. Wanting to heal others inside-out as well as healing our planet Earth. Her passions include balancing the mind through meditation, knowledge & conscious parenting, the body through plant based eating, alternative medicine, & yoga, and the soul through up cycling, gardening, & sustainability. Keep your life balanced & subscribe to her weekly emails, follow OmLivin’ on instagram, twitter, pinterest or check her out on Google+ for more.
Want more plant based recipes?
Follow Om Livin’ on Pinterest for hand selected plant based recipes. For more boards vist Om Livin’s pinterest page here!
Don’t Miss These Tasty Tuesday Posts:
Read Recent Posts from Om Livin’