How to Make Eggplant Cannelloni Recipe
Eggplant! It’s hearty, it’s meaty, it’s tasty & it’s purple!
What more could you want in a vegetable??
It’s safe to say that this is Shane’s most loved vegetable, and enjoys every meal prepared with it! My Eggplant Parmesan was his favorite… that is until he tried my newest Eggplant Cannelloni recipe. I always enjoy creating new recipes using eggplant especially Italian recipes!
With Pinterest inspiring me to try this recipe I decided to take the idea of a vegetarian cannelloni and put my own little spin on it!
I have tried this recipe about 6 or 7 times, adding and taking out things each time. After about the sixth time I pretty much perfected the flavor I was trying to achieve.
A cannelloni is a stuffed pasta or vegetable, mainly stuffed with cheese and meat. I added rice, cheese, vegan Italian sausage, sautéed garlic & kale….because who doesn’t love kale?!?!
I believe I have come up with the perfect recipe for this meal & hope you enjoy it as much as Shane does!!
- 2 large eggplants, peeled and sliced lengthwise 1/2-inch thick
- 1 cup (185 g) cooked brown rice (cooked in salt water)
- 1 Field Roast Italian Sausage link (this is a vegan product)
- This Pasta Sauce
- 6 ounces (170 g) gouda cheese, shredded or chopped
- 4 ounces (113 g) chopped kale
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tablespoons (16 g) nutritional yeast
- Salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Lightly oil the baking sheet, lay each eggplant slice on the sheet. Bake for 20-25 minutes. You want your eggplant to be able to roll easily.
- Add about 1 cup of pasta sauce to the cooked rice and heat on medium low. Start adding cheese and continue to stir periodically.
- Meanwhile, start sautéing your garlic for 30 sec to a minute. Add kale, vegan sausage and salt then cook until vegan sausage is browned and kale is crispy. Set aside.
- Once cheese is fully melted and mixed in with the rice, start adding your garlic, kale and sausage.
- Adding a spoonful or so of the rice mixture on each eggplant slice, roll them up and set aside. (Some times, I will pierce them with a wooden kabob stick to get them nice and tight looking without unrolling.)
- With the remainder of the rice mixture, layer your large casserole dish and place the eggplant rolls neatly on top. Bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat up pasta sauce for topping. Remove cannelloni from the oven.
- Serve eggplant topped with pasta sauce, basil and nutritional yeast.
Be sure to snap a photo & hashtag #omlivin during or after making this recipe! I would love to know how it turned out for you!
Question of the Day:
Are you an eggplant fan or do you typically pass on the purple vegetable? Let me know in the comments down below!
Be sure to check back on Tuesdays for more plant based recipes & culinary tips or you can always subscribe to my newsletter!! Also if you decide you’re up for the challenge by replicating this recipe, be sure to post a picture on | Instagram | Google+ | Twitter | for the Om Livin’ community to see (with the #omlivin). Lets spread the plant based love!! ❤ ॐ❤!
Written By: Ashleigh Nicole
Ashleigh is a mother & wife who enjoys blogging in hopes to change this world for the better. Wanting to heal others inside-out as well as healing our planet Earth. Her passions include balancing the mind through meditation, knowledge & conscious parenting, the body through plant based eating, alternative medicine, & yoga, and the soul through up cycling, gardening, & sustainability. Keep your life balanced & subscribe to her weekly emails, follow OmLivin’ on instagram, twitter, pinterest or check her out on Google+ for more.
Want more plant based recipes?
Follow Om Livin’ on Pinterest for hand selected plant based recipes. For more boards vist Om Livin’s pinterest page here!
Don’t Miss These Tasty Tuesday Posts:
Read Recent Posts from Om Livin’