Homemade Italian Spaghetti Sauce Recipe
Growing up I was very fortunate to have been able to spend a lot of time with my grandma. She was an amazing inspiration and a huge part of my life, she helped me become the woman I am today.
During my times with her, I remember how her kitchen was always the center of attraction. Her cooking was always above and beyond and filled my belly many of times. Luckily for me, she was my college roomie and I was able to learn how to mimic her recipes although it was always tastier when she made it….she had the secret touch!
One of my all time favorite meals was of course her spaghetti with her homemade spaghetti sauce. This was one of the first recipes that she taught me how to make and has been a Squires staple ever since I can remember. Shane loves it, Ave really loves it and heck even my father in law loves this sauce.
This sauce can do no wrong!
- Spaghetti Spice Mix
- 3 ½ tbsp salt
- 1 ½ tbsp black pepper
- 4 tbsp basil
- 5 tbsp rosemary (my favorite herb)
- 1 tbsp summer savory
- 1 ½ tbsp marjoram
- ½ tbsp ground cloves
- 3 tbsp garlic powder
- 4 ½ tbsp onion powder
- Mix all the herbs together in a food processor or blender until everything is well mixed. Store in a glass jar.
- Keep in mind, for convenience I make a bigger batch of spaghetti spice for future uses. However, if you only want to use this once replace tablespoons with teaspoons or for bigger batches replace for cups. (which I usually do)
- Heat a large pot on medium heat & add your olive oil & minced garlic.
- Let the garlic slowly sauté.
- Add the tomato paste and stir until smooth
- Mix in the tomato sauce and water & mix again until smooth
- Once sauce is warmed up, add the balsamic vinegar and the spice. I normally fill a large mixing spoon with the spice and slowly add more to my own liking. I recommend waiting until the sauce is warmed to add the spice so that you get a better taste when testing for the spice level.
- Let sauce simmer for about 10 - 20 minutes and then turn heat to low.
- Add sauce to spaghetti squash or noodles and enjoy!
Be sure to snap a photo & hashtag #omlivin during or after making this recipe! I would love to know how it turned out for you!
Question of the Day:
Do you typically make your own spaghetti sauce or will this be your first time trying it? Let me know in the comments down below!!
Be sure to check back on Tuesdays for more plant based recipes & culinary tips or you can always subscribe to my newsletter!! Also if you decide you’re up for the challenge by replicating this recipe, be sure to post a picture on | Instagram | Google+ | Twitter | for the Om Livin’ community to see (with the #omlivin). Lets spread the plant based love!! ❤ ॐ❤!
Written By: Ashleigh Nicole
Ashleigh is a mother & wife who enjoys blogging in hopes to change this world for the better. Wanting to heal others inside-out as well as healing our planet Earth. Her passions include balancing the mind through meditation, knowledge & conscious parenting, the body through plant based eating, alternative medicine, & yoga, and the soul through up cycling, gardening, & sustainability. Keep your life balanced & subscribe to her weekly emails, follow OmLivin’ on instagram, twitter, pinterest or check her out on Google+ for more.
Want more plant based recipes?
Follow Om Livin’ on Pinterest for hand selected plant based recipes. For more boards vist Om Livin’s pinterest page here!
Don’t Miss These Tasty Tuesday Posts:
Read Recent Posts from Om Livin’