I have started down a path that I never would have dreamed of taking. This path is changing my outlook on life, happiness, friendships and even cleaning!
I am sure you are all dying to know what type of lifestyle change would ever make me love cleaning but I can’t tell you just yet!
Don’t worry though, I will most likely be dropping hints throughout this next year of what exactly it is. Anyways back to the cleaning…for many people cleaning can be seen as a mundane task that is required to keep the home neat however, it is so much more than that! Cleaning keeps the home physically clean, but it also clears a cluttered mind and soul. Releasing your home of negative energy is a very important ritual that you should start incorporating into your cleaning schedule. One way to cleanse the energy of your home and invite positivity would be smudging.
What is Smudging?
Smudging is a purification act that involves the smoke of specifically chosen herbs to cleanse and rid negative energy in a home, space or even persons. Know that smudging isn’t just a new age performance, it’s a sacred ceremony that has been used for thousands of years by the Native Americans, Ancients from Rome, Greece and Egypt and many other cultures as well.
So be aware and mindful when smudging, the smoke from the herbs are cleansing and are known to hold onto the negative energy removing it from the intended person, object or room.
When to Smudge?
Have you ever noticed that your moods change when entering into a different room in your home? Sometimes you are uplifted whereas other rooms can leave you feeling depressed, anxious or even angry. If this is an occurring event that takes place in your home or even just within yourself, then I highly recommend you smudge. Below are some more examples of when you need to smudge:
- When moving into a new space. (To rid your new home of any negative energy or spirits that existed in the home before you)
- Before sleeping to preventing nightmares (common for little ones)
- When levels of stress, depression or any uneasy feelings arise.
- Monthly or Weekly cleansing
- Before and after holidays or big get-togethers.
Even happy homes can accumulate negative energy, so that is why I recommend you smudge your home monthly to keep your home at peace. Also the stress and anxiety that can be caused before and after big get togethers can mess up your vibrational pattern as well as bring negative energy into your home, so be sure to cleanse yourself often during those times. (Be sure to check out this post on other ways to raise your vibration here)
What You Need to Smudge
This is where the rituals differ for many people. When cleansing negative energy, it has to resonate with you and your beliefs. Some people choose to sing or chant while others pray. There is no wrong as long as you believe that you’re cleansing the space and welcoming all that is healing and positive. The basics of smudging is this:
- Choose your herb:
- White Sage (Salvia apiana) is the most popular herb used in smudging, and is used in ceremonies or rituals to drive out bad spirits, feelings and more.
- Cedar is used to invite positive energies and is used as a protective herb as well.
- Sweetgrass is used to attract positive spirits and uplifting feelings.
- Other herbs consists of: Lavender, Mugwort, Oak Moss, Rosemary, & more
- Consider adding a few drops of EO on your main herb to create a great smell.
- Choose your fireproof container
- To practice safety, a fireproof container such as a bowl, glass or shell will be needed to catch the ash from your herb stick. I personally use an abalone shell and it works very well.
- Candle & lighter
- I typically start my smudging off with lighting the candle, and setting intentions for the smudge act. I then light my sage stick with the candle and proceed to cleanse what needs to be cleansed. Once finished I say a little prayer and blow out the candle while letting the sage stick burn out on its own.
Be sure to snap a photo & hashtag #omlivin of your yogi adventures! I would love to see your Spiritual side!
Other things to keep in mind:
- Many will combine the herbs together making it a stronger smoke and intention. You can buy most sage sticks at a new age or metaphysical stores, health food stores and even online, which I find to be the best option in price.
- Clean your space physically before smudging to make it easier to walk around.
- Keep a positive energy about you before, during, and after the purification process and focus on pushing the negativity out while welcoming in positive energy.
Question of the Day:
How do you clear negative energy?
Be sure to come back on our next Meditation Monday for more posts related to yoga, meditation & the spiritual path towards happiness. Or you could always subscribe to get get each post in your inbox! If you have any comments or questions on what we discussed today, please feel free to comment and share your knowledge with the community on my social media pages, | Instagram | Twitter | Google+ Thank you for taking the time to read today’s post & in return know that you are on a path towards enlightenment ❤ ॐ❤!
Some links listed below are Amazon & other affiliate links, meaning that Om Livin’ earns a small commission if you purchase through the links. These links are what helps support Om Livin’, don’t worry we only link items that we love in hopes that you and your loved ones continue the path towards a more peaceful, healthy, and sustainable life! To read our full affiliate disclosure click here.
Speaking of a healthier lifestyle, Om Livin’ loves to talk about holistic healing, but the information on this blog are for educational purposes only. These statements on Om Livin’ are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease and have not been approved by the Food and Drug Administration. You assume full responsibility for how you choose to use this information. We do advise you to continue your research from multiple sources as well. Please read our full medical disclaimer here.
Want more Yoga & Meditation?
Follow Om Livin’ on Pinterest for hand selected yoga poses, meditation articles and spiritual finds. For even more boards vist Om Livin’s pinterest page here!